Saturday, October 18, 2008

Introductions, Drinks, Conversation - Aperitifs, Done

It was a little daunting being the first stop off but I think it went well. Phil and I tried to give the place a nice, relaxed lounge-y feel. Low lighting, candles, Frank Sinatra in the background. Phil called it our "Mad Men" theme - who knows what the hell it was but it worked.

Michael was the first to arrive and I liked him right away - maybe its because I heard him ask Phil about our cats. I'm pretty easy to please. Everyone else arrived pretty shortly afterward - which is impressive since I am usually fashionably late for everything. Audrey even brought us Chinese moon pies - which I am excited to dig into.

The women - Christina, Catherine and Audrey - were all super cute and the same with the guys - Michael, Toby and Robin. I liked that they were all a little different from each other. I mean each of the six had a personality - not the usual carbon copy Shoreditch hipster that I'm used to seeing around the neighborhood. Refreshing. All six seemed interesting and friendly.

Everyone seemed to get along well and jumped right in to conversation. I didn't listen in much since Phil and I were trying to give the group space. We didn't want them talking to us and not getting to know eachother. Plus, it seemed a little mysterious and silly to be the hosts but not really play the typical host role. A couple people knew a little too much information about the evening's goings on but not enough to ruin anything. I was a little surprised that no one really asked us anything about what was going on other than Michael - at least not until we told them to get their coats and move to the next course. Then everyone had questions and started to wonder what the evening had in store. No one even seemed to notice that there was nothing cooking. Everyone just went with the flow.

Hoping the experiment is a success and all six get on well - I'm interested to see everyone at the end and get their impressions of the whole project.

Now Phil and I are changing and going out for a kebab - we, unlike lucky Michael, Christina, Catherine, Toby, Robin and Audrey, don't get a fabulous 3 course meal tonight.

3 comments:

marg said...

loving you guys
coolest bananas

Michael said...

Ah such nice words. Thanks for hosting us. Yeah was quite exciting not knowing what to expect. I assumed it was going to be some kind of themed dinner, the notion of it just being 6 of us traveling around Dalston getting spoilt rotten didn't occur to me.

Anonymous said...

yes thanks so much to all the hosts, it was an amazingly surreal and fabulous evening!